Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Chatuchak Weekend Market














































We are sorry that we have not been able to call anyone. I am able to post to the blog at an Internet Cafe that we found down the road, but we have not been able to find any place to get WiFi. I am hoping that we will have better luck in Chiang Mai.
Yesterday we went to the huge weekend market which the tour book states has over 15,000 vendor stalls. I believe it. What an amazing experience. I don't think I have ever been so hot and sweaty in my life. On top of that there were thousands of people. There were so many things to buy. What I found the most interesting were the pet squirrels (I assume "pet") that they were selling. There is a picture of them in cages and they all had strings tied to their legs. We also saw snakes and lot of live animals.
I felt brave after eating the "spicy" food the day before in Ayutthaya so I order my food a little spicy at the market. I sure did learn my lesson. Wow, was it hot.
We will be catching the train to Chiang Mai tomorrow night. We have had a wonderful trip in Bangkok, but I must admit I am ready for a smaller town. I still can't get over how friendly everyone is in Thailand. I don't think we have met an unfriendly person yet.
Today, we are going to visit the Grand Palace and some of the last places that we want to see in Bangkok before heading north.

3 comments:

  1. I sent an email but since you email to me took 2 days to hit my computer maybe I'll try the blog comments again. In the email I went I








    into detail about my Christmas. Just in case you didn't receive the email I'll comment on what I saw that might be beautiful in my home. I like the statue Ben and Emma are standing in front of at Wat Pho. He's real colorful and has a top not on his hat or crown. Find out from the locals what he represent and if he's a good guy he would make a nice wall hanging as long as the representation is beautiful and he's not made of fabric.
    I would rather you spend my $200. on one or 2 beautiful things rather than lots of little ones. I can tell you all are having a wonderful time and I know it's a dream come true for you!
    Keep in touch! Lots and lots of love. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI all...

    Thank you for posting all these great pictures! We are so excited to see a little of what you getting to experience :) Christmas was a cold, gray, blustery day here, but there was a lot of good cheer. We had a good Christmas. Faith was at Mike and Wilma's Christmas day so we got to visit with her also. She seems to be doing very well.

    Susie and I are playing with our "big" gift--the Wii. Turns out neither of us have much in the way of balance! Matt went down to Knoxville with his folks to visit and we were able to use the webcam to see everyone. Still havent figured out how to get the microphone to work, but once we do I will install Skype so we can chat too!

    You guys be careful and have fun!
    Love to all... Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible! It reminds me of Big Lots (haha!) We just had a squirrel loose in our house, so I'm not sure that a "pet" squirrel would be up our alley...

    Glad your having fun!!! Stay safe!!!

    ReplyDelete