Thursday, December 24, 2009

Bangkok - Damnoensaduak Floating Market






















Merry Christmas Everyone!! At least it is Christmas in Thailand. We are having a wonderful time. I can't get over how friendly all the Thai people are in Bangkok. On Christmas Eve, we took a tour of the famous Damnoensaduak Floating Market. We took a long boat trip down the narrow canals where people live. This was my favorite experience for today. What a wonderful experience...so different than the US. I just love the traditional Thai houses. They are so beautiful with all the Teak wood. We also went to a local Park where they had a crocodile and elephant show. It was fun to watch the elephants play soccer and dance. The kids really enjoyed this.
Because 95% of the people in Thailand are buddist, signs of Christmas are very minimal. It makes it good for traveling, but very different than the feeling that we would have in Alaska right now. We all tried the durian fruit which is famous for being very stinky. In fact, in many hotels they don't even allow the fruit. We all really enjoyed it, but we all thought it tasted like something different.
Because it is in the 80's here and very humid we find ourselves taking showers every early evening to cool off. Emma and Ben enjoy taking a nice swim every evening. Today we are off to the ruins of Ayutthaya.
We hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas today.




























t

2 comments:

  1. This is my second letter to you because I don't know how to send it. What or rather who is the statue Ben and Emma are standing in front of at Wat Pho? It's beautiful and if you could find a wall hanging of it that would probably be nicer than a mask. It's the statue with the pointed hat or crown. I would like a solid material not fabric.
    I'm really sorry I missed the trip. The boat trip looked like a lot of fun. Please plan to go next year again so I can go too. Hopefully I can get this message to you. Here goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!! What great pictures!! I'm also very impressed that you can spell some of the words there - it is almost as crazy as Dutch!

    I can't believe that you guys tried the stinky fruit. I've heard of that, but very proud of everyone trying it!

    ReplyDelete