Friday, December 25, 2009

Ayutthaya


We hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas. We spent ours going to Ayutthaya which are ruins from the 1300s about one hour north of Bangkok. We also went to the summer palace for the King. It sure was beautiful. Since 95% of the people of Thailand are Buddist, there are very few signs of Christmas here. With it being 94 degrees and very humid it really did not feel like Christmas. It sure beats darkness and -20 degrees though.
We had a wonderful tour guide and she took us to a great local restaurant for some good local food. It sure was great. I asked for my dish to be a little spicy. I thought I had little green peas in my dish as I continued eating them when our tour guide, Pai, told me that they were young chilis. She was surprised that I ate them. It sure was good food.
Today, we are off to the big weekend market. We hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas.
































































1 comment:

  1. What beautiful food and incredible ruins! I'm surprised that you ate the baby chilis too! My uncle Joe spent some time in Thailand when he was young and mentioned those "pea-like spices". He said he tried them once and never again... too hot!

    I can't get over the ruins... it looks like some movie set or something... :)

    ReplyDelete